Richmond couple loses home and cat to fire but escapes uninjured

Hearth damaged a cell house Tuesday morning on Beedle Street in Richmond. Joe Phelan/Kennebec Journal

RICHMOND — A Beedle Street couple lost their residence, and cat, to a fire early Tuesday early morning.

Hefty flames engulfed the entrance of the cell dwelling of Melissa Higgins and Don Plante at 144 Beedle Highway just following midnight. Higgins identified the hearth and woke up Plante and each escaped the burning framework.

Neither they, nor firefighters had been injured in the fireplace. Their cat did not survive.

“Melissa observed the fireplace and woke him up and they made their way out a back again doorway,” stated Richmond Deputy Hearth Chief Matt Roberge.

Firefighters had the flames less than regulate in about 20 minutes, according to Richmond Fireplace Chief John Bellino, but by then about 50 % the property had burned. The remaining 50 % was remaining with smoke destruction, and the cellular house is possible not salvageable as a residence.

Roberge said an investigator from the Business office of the Point out Hearth Marshal responded to the hearth scene, but the lead to of the hearth was undetermined.

The hearth appeared to have started out in a porch or mudroom region at the front of the dwelling and then traveled into the most important section of the construction. There was also some heat harm to cars and trucks on the property.

Neighbors made available the few a place to shell out the relaxation of the evening and the Pink Cross was contacted to offer you them aid, in accordance to Roberge. He reported the residence was insured.

Bellino said firefighters used amongst 2,000 and 3,000 gallons of water to extinguish the blaze.

Firefighters from Gardiner, Litchfield, Dresden, Bowdoin, Bowdoinham and Woolwich responded to a simply call for mutual aid to enable Richmond with the fire.

The dwelling, according to town examining documents, was crafted in 1995.

« Earlier

Upcoming »

Share This Post